I am proposing new legislation!
The Fifty New Medical Schools for
More and Better Doctors Act,
also known as the
American Medical Professional Education
Reform Act (AMPERA)
- OUR MEDICAL EDUCATION SYSTEM NEEDS TO BE REFORMED TO PROVIDE MORE AND BETTER DOCTOR
- THIS WILL IMPROVE HEALTH CARE, EXPAND THE ECONOMY, AND HELP REDUCE HEALTH CARE COSTS
- THE PROPOSED REFORM IS TO OPEN FIFTY NEW MEDICAL SCHOOLS, ONE IN EACH STATE,
- AND REDUCE THE TOTAL TRAINING TIME BY STARTING MEDICAL EDUCATION EARLIER THIS WILL BE PAID FOR BY A FIFTY-BILLION DOLLAR GRANT, ONE BILLION FOR EACH SCHOOL, TO SET UP A NEW FACILITY AND SCHOLARSHIPS.
- THE NECESSARY FUNDS WILL COME, NOT FROM TAXES, BUT FROM US CORPORATIONS’ OVERSEAS CASH DEPOSITS IN EXCHANGE FOR TAX BENEFITS
- HEALTH CARE COSTS WILL BE REDUCED BY
- STARTING TRAINING EARLIER, SHORTENING THE TOTAL EDUCATIONAL CYCLE
- GRADUATING MORE NURSE PRACTITIONERS
- INCREASING COMPETITION
- According to the American Medical Association:
- According to the American Medical Association, “International Medical Graduates [IMG’s] make up approximately 25% of the U.S. physician population.” AMA Official Website.
- Using the Land Grant College system as a model, Congress sponsors fifty new medical schools, one in each state.Each school is granted $1 billion to establish the facility, hire the faculty, and set up extensive scholarships.
- A small agency is set up to establish standards, accredit the schools, and establish a timetable to get them started.
- $50 Billion Funding is provided as follows:
- Donations to a trust fund by U.S. Corporation
- Many US Corporations have multiple billions of dollars in cash, on deposit in foreign countries. They don’t want to repatriate the funds because of the tax implications.
- Establish a tax credit—for every billion dollars a corporation provides to the trust fund, it can repatriate ten billion dollars (or a minimum number to provide the necessary tax incentive) tax free
- That avoids higher taxes
- Second, and less preferable alternative would be Congressional Appropriation
- Educational times would be shortened, and each medical school would produce Doctors, Nurse Practitioners, and Registered Nurses, as follows:
- Education starts after 2 years of college preparation.
- Total time to MD Degree = 6 years
- Total time to NP Degree = 5 years
- Total time to RN Degree = 4 years
- Liberal scholarships would be funded